Top 10 Things You Can Do to Improve Your Health
When we reach middle age, it becomes more difficult to maintain the health of the body. However, the top 10 recommendations that SBIRT Colorado gives below will help you maintain excellent health for many years. Get started today!
10 simple ways to strengthen your health
- Remove stress. It’s no secret that stress can have a negative effect on your brain and body, especially with age. At the same time, various diseases develop, such as sleep problems, heart disease, and depression. Of course, your body can cope with a certain level of stress in a natural way, but you should also help it with this. Make daily stress relief your habit. Even the usual singing of your favorite tune is one of the ways you can have a positive effect on your health. You can read a book, take a walk, or just relax with your eyes closed for a few minutes;
- Drink more water. Of course, the daily consumption of large amounts of fluid does not make you completely healthy, however, some benefits to the body still exist. Ensuring adequate hydration of your body contributes to the normal functioning of the joints and the flow of nutrients to all organs, and also helps your kidneys and liver remove waste and harmful substances from the body;
- Take a walk. When it comes to ways to improve health, it can be easier. The movement will help you slow down the aging process. Walking strengthens the heart and bones, improves sleep and reduces stress levels. In addition, walks help maintain mental acuity, minimizing the natural memory loss that comes with age. The results of a study of 6,000 women aged 65 and older showed that those who walked at least 4 km per day had a 17 percent lower memory loss compared to women who had less than 1 km per week. Therefore, pick up comfortable shoes and go for a walk!
- Visit your doctor regularly. Do it all the time, not just when something hurts. This procedure is the most important point of all ways to improve your health. Your doctor will answer any questions you may have about a healthier lifestyle and help you ensure that your body is ready for regular physical exertion. He can also detect the onset of the disease before you have any symptoms;
- Play intellectual games. In fact, a lot of games, whether crossword puzzles or computer games, can improve your health by reducing the symptoms of dementia and maintaining the sharpness of your mind;
- Read the labels. It’s one of the most simple and useful things you can do right in the kitchen or in the grocery store. By reading food labels, you get certain information that will undoubtedly benefit your health. What you should pay attention in the first place depends on your specific nutritional needs, goals, health status. Also, please note that you should not take into account advertising signs on the front of the package, such as low-fat, low-calorie. They can mislead you. Analyze the composition of the product indicated on the label. First of all, pay attention to the amount of fat, sodium and carbohydrates. And in each case, the lower the value, the better. The amount of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, such as fiber, plays a big role. Also, one of the most important aspects is the serving size. This will help you determine the number of calories in your food;
- Avoid sugary drinks. Stay away from soda water. A standard bottle of sweet sparkling water contains the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of sugar. A recent study showed that even one serving of a sweet carbonated drink per day can increase the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases in men by 20 percent, and increases the risk of developing diabetes in women by 25 percent. Dietary sweet drinks are also not a good choice;
- Sleep more. With age, it becomes more difficult to get enough sleep. The rhythm of our biological clock is changing, and we become more susceptible to insomnia, snoring and sleep apnea. Lack of sleep can lead to the development of various diseases, in particular, to changes in the level of hormones in the body, which regulate our metabolism and appetite. Thus, lack of sleep can lead to excess weight and stress. One of the most important things contributing to good sleep is a new mattress. Research has shown that many older people have been sleeping on the same mattress for more than 10 years. Therefore, with age, the mattress becomes less comfortable, which means that we do not get high-quality sleep. In addition, doctors recommend avoiding caffeine/alcohol and try preparations that improve the quality of sleep offered by Trust Pharmacy (Sleep Inn, Sominex, and Unison). These products can be purchased on https://www.sandelcenter.com;
- Eat fruits and vegetables daily. Fruits and vegetables contain many vital nutrients such as calcium (bone health), fiber (reducing the risk of developing coronary disease), iron (healthy blood cells), potassium (normalizing blood pressure), vitamin A (eyesight, skin) and vitamin C (teeth, gums). Also, try to make fish a part of your diet at least twice a week. This product contains a very small amount of sodium and is an excellent source of protein that contributes to maintaining health for all cells in the body and is used to build muscle and restore tissue. In addition, fish contains a lot of vitamin B12, which is a key component of blood. This substance is used to produce new cells and maintain the health of the nervous system. Another important element found in fish is the omega-3 fatty acid, which can improve heart health and help with diseases such as arthritis and depression. Also, fish oil is an excellent source of vitamin D. And, in addition, the consumption of fish oil will help you protect the body from stress;
- Control the size of your portion. Your rule should be the following. There should be one serving of protein, grains and vegetables on a plate (the size of a fist). If it seems to you that it is very small, use smaller plates.
Try these 10 simple ways to improve your health today, and you will have a great mood and a healthy future!
Tags: general health, health, healthy lifestyle, physical health